We’ve posted about Metro how-tos before, but this should clarify some of the questions you may be left with. Here are step-by-step directions on Metro bus and rail navigations.
Washington Metro System = Metrobus (bus) + Metrorail (subway or train)
Monday through Saturday – Metrobus #83 operates from Cherry Hill Park to the Rhode Island Avenue Metrorail Station.
You will get off the bus at the College Park Metrorail Station. On Sunday use Metrobus 81 to the Greenbelt Metrorail Station.
- Note: In addition to the Metrobus #83, the Metrobus #83X operates in the morning only, during the summer. This special route runs directly from Cherry Hill Park to the College Park Metrorail Station. Check office for times and availability.
- Tokens are no longer available. Bus drivers accept cash or SmarTrip Cards only.
- The SmarTrip Cards cost $5.00 plus fares, and are available in the office and at Metrorail stations. If you use a SmarTrip Card, each person must have their own. The cards are good for the bus, the subway and parking at Metrorail stations.
- If you use cash for the bus you may pay as a group, see bus schedule for exact amounts.
- Bills and coins for the bus must be EXACT, no change is available.
- Children under the age of 5 ride the bus free. Persons age 65 and older can ride the bus at a reduced price, pay with cash.
- On each platform there is a list of all the stations each train stops at on the way to the last station.
- Metrorail trains are labeled using the last station on the line.
- The Green Line train goes from the Greenbelt Station to the Branch Avenue Station.
- The Metrorail has two fares: Peak and Off Peak. Fares for the subway are higher during Peak times.
- Fare tables for all destinations are posted in each Metrorail station.
- To ride the Metrorail, each person must have a fare card or a SmarTrip Card.
- Fare cards and SmarTrip Cards can be purchased from machines at each station or at the office.
- Persons age 65 and older can ride the Metro rail system at a reduced price.
- Senior fare cards can only be purchased through the Cherry Hill Office or at Metro Center.
- Metrorail fare cards are available at the office anytime and at the Bus Depot weekday mornings.
GOING TO WASHINGTON, DC (Smithsonian/National Mall area)
- Go to the Cherry Hill Park Bus Depot across from the office at the entrance to the park.
- On Monday thru Saturday take Metrobus #83 – labeled Rhode Island Avenue Station to the College Park Metrorail station. This ride takes about 20 minutes.
- On Sunday take Metrobus #81 to the Greenbelt Metrorail Station. There is no bus to College Park on Sunday.
- Enter the rail station; this is the Green Line of the Metrorail.
- Purchase a fare card or SmarTrip Card for each person from the fare card machine or use card purchased from our office.
- Use the fare card or SmarTrip Card to enter the turnstile, save this card for exit.
- Board the Green Line train labeled Branch Avenue
- Ride the train to the Archives/Navy Memorial Station. This ride takes about 25 minutes. Get off train and use your fare card or SmarTrip Cards to exit the station. Walk south on 7th Street to the Mall.
NOTE: To switch to a Red Line train, exit the Green Line at the Fort Totten Station or at the Gallery Place/Chinatown Station. To switch to an Orange or a Blue Line train, exit the Green Line at the L’Enfant Plaza Station. Follow signs to the escalators and go up or down to the different platform.
Remember the trains are labeled using the last station on the line. The Green Line train goes from the Greenbelt Station to the Branch Avenue Station. For Cherry Hill Park guests inbound (to DC) trains are labeled Branch Avenue and outbound (return) trains are labeled Greenbelt.
RETURNING TO CHERRY HILL PARK
- Enter any Metrorail Station. Board a green line train labeled Greenbelt. If boarding a Blue or Orange train, go to the L’Enfant Plaza Station. Switch to the Green Line train towards Greenbelt. If boarding a Red Line train, go to Gallery Place/Chinatown Station to switch. On Monday thru Saturday ride the Green Line train to the College Park Metrorail Station. On Sunday ride the Green Line train to the Greenbelt Metro rail Station.
- Exit the train at the College Park Metro rail station and board the Metrobus #83 to Cherry Hill Park. This is a northbound bus. On Sunday use Metrobus #81 to Cherry Hill Park from the Greenbelt Metro rail station.
- The bus driver does not announce the stops, however, the final stop and end of the bus line is inside the campground.
Here is a video on the information above. The first four minutes explain all you need to know. It is a bit out of date, however, but the only changes are as follows:
1. We no longer sell bus tokens for the Metro bus. You must pay in cash or use your SmarTrip.
2. Prices have changed. For more information on prices click here.
3. Metro no longer does paper transfers between rail and bus.